Introducing the In and Out of Ludlow forum to improve transport and access to our town

We have set up a new forum to look at transport and access issues in and around Ludlow. It has already set in place reviews of the East Hamlet One Stop junction and wayfaring signs around the town centre. Simon Jones, Shropshire’s lead councillor on transport, is looking at whether £1 parking on Sunday can be introduced to towns like Ludlow. In coming months, we’ll be working our way through a long list of issues concentrating on those of greatest concern to residents and traders.

In and Out of Ludlow (IOL) is a fairly informal forum chaired by town councillor Jim Smithers with myself as vice-chair. Hosted by Ludlow Town Council, its membership is drawn from officers and councillors from the town and Shropshire. Parishes round Ludlow are also welcome to attend as are members of the public.

The aims of IOL are:

To provide a forum for residents, councillors and organisations to seek consensus on traffic, transport, parking and access issues in and around Ludlow.

Further details of the forum’s aims are given below.

IOL meets every six weeks at the Guildhall and it has so far met twice.

At the first meeting, the forum considered priorities for future meetings (minutes). These include short term projects, such as improved waymarking to and around the town centre, and longer term ambitions, including a transport hub and taking control of the town’s car parks from Shropshire Council.

The second meeting looked at a wide range of issues (minutes). These included: loose paving and trip hazards; town centre litter; parking in Jockey Field and Teme Avenue; cars and vans rat running in Lower Corve Street; motorcycles parking in Events Square; access to Quality Square; pedestrian wayfaring; the Weeping Cross & Lower Galdeford junction; and the East Hamlet junction. Simon Jones, Shropshire Council’s new portfolio holder for transport attended. He said he asked for a report on whether the £1 Sunday parking scheme introduced in Shrewsbury could be extended to towns like Ludlow.

IOL has set up two working parties.

One Stop junction. Resident Len Swartz, a former highways engineer, and I are to review the One Stop junction in East Hamlet. This junction is an accident waiting to happen. There is inadequate pavement space for pedestrians opposite One Stop. The junction has difficult sight lines for cars and pedestrians, especially when vehicles are parked on New Road or a delivery is made to the store. We’ll be consulting with people in the area shortly and discussing options for making the junction safer with highways officers before reporting back to IOL.

Pedestrian wayfaring. A second working group is to look at the signs that direct pedestrians to and around the town centre. It will also review the role of smart phone technology. The members of the group are Viv Parry, David Newbold, Andy Boddington & Jim Smithers.

The next meeting of IOL will be at 5pm, 23 July. Please let Jim Smithers or myself know of any topics you would like to be discussed at the forum. Each meeting will have a session for the public to speak on any topic related to the work of the forum. Members of the public can also speak during the meeting at the invitation of the chairman.

Guidance for In and Out of Ludlow

1. Aims

The aims of In and Out of Ludlow (IOL) are:

1.1. To provide a forum for residents, councillors and organisations to seek consensus on traffic, transport, parking and access issues in and around Ludlow.

1.2 To provide advice and recommendations to Ludlow Town Council, Shropshire Council, the Marches Local Enterprise Partnership and any other body, organisation, enterprise or company concerned with the matters in 1.1.

2. Membership

2.1. IOL is an inclusive body.

2.2. It will have a flexible membership drawn from councillors, organisations and residents.

2.3. Appointments should be made for chair and vice chair, but it is not expected that IOL will proliferate formal positions.

2.4. The secretary will be Ludlow Town Council.

3. Ways of working

3.1. It is intended that IOL works with minimal of formality and makes decisions by consensus wherever possible.

3.2. IOL will achieve its aims through the diligent and the enthusiastic work of its members, supported by Ludlow Town Council and Shropshire Council where resources are available.

3.3. There are no constraints or formal rules for the way that IOL conducts its business. It can for example work in committee mode, delegate tasks to subgroups, hold open meetings or take any other action that promotes its aims within its resources.

4. Reporting

4.1. IOL will make an annual report to Ludlow Town Council and the Local Joint Committee each March or at any other time in agreement with the town council and LJC.

4.2. IOL of Ludlow may make other reports to Ludlow Town Council, the Local Joint Committee and other relevant body, and to the public, as and when required by its business.

6 thoughts on “Introducing the In and Out of Ludlow forum to improve transport and access to our town

  1. Hi Cllr Boddington would it be at all possible if i could join your group, As i may be Co Opted on to Ludlow Town Council ,Covering Gallows Bank Ward .

  2. Hi Cllr Boddington would it be at all possible if i could join your group, As i may be Co Opted on to Ludlow Town Council ,Covering Gallows Bank Ward .

  3. Andy, can you try again to get t he 2L timetable displayed in Ludlow. Despite all my efforts with the council a new timetable has been put up, dated 1st June – and the Kidderminster 2L times are STILL MISSING!

  4. Andy, can you try again to get t he 2L timetable displayed in Ludlow. Despite all my efforts with the council a new timetable has been put up, dated 1st June – and the Kidderminster 2L times are STILL MISSING!

Comments are closed.