Local elections will take place on 6 May, now just under four weeks away. Today, Shropshire Council has published the list of candidates for the 74 unitary seats up for grabs. Three candidates will compete in Ludlow South and Clee. There will be four candidates in Ludlow North and Ludlow East. The Lib Dems, Green Party and Conservatives are standing for all four local seats. Labour is fielding a candidate in Ludlow East and an independent is standing in Ludlow North.
Our county goes to the polls on 6 May with elections for Shropshire unitary council and town and parish councils. The day has been dubbed “Super Thursday” because elections will be held in 149 council areas, along with elections for mayors, the Police and Crime Commissioners, the Senedd and Holyrood. There will be a couple of hundred by-elections and several hundred parish and town council elections. By-elections and a vote for the PCC will take place in Telford & Wrekin where council wide elections are not due until 2023.
Today, Shropshire Council published the list of candidates for the unitary council. Here are the candidates for divisions in south west Shropshire.
Held by Richard Huffer since 2010, Lib Dem. Candidates:
- Richard Huffer, Lib Dem, Bitterley
- Jayne Rose, Conservative, Neen Sollars
- David Thomlinson, Green, Clun.
Held by Tracey Huffer since 2009, Lib Dem. Candidates:
- Tracey Huffer, Lib Dem, Bitterley
- James Durnall, Conservative, Ludlow
- Colin Sheward, Labour, Ludlow
- Neil Taylor, Green, Ludlow.
Held by Andy Boddington since 2014, Lib Dem. Candidates:
- Andy Boddington, Lib Dem, Ludlow
- Thomas Scott Bell, Conservative, Ludlow.
- Linda Hale, Green, Bishop’s Castle
- Graeme Perks, Independent, Ludlow
Currently held by Viv Parry since 2013, Lib Dem. Candidates:
- Vivienne Parry, Lib Dem, Ludlow
- Josh Boughton, Conservative, Ludlow
- Anthony Lampert, Green, Bishop’s Castle.
Held by Ruth Houghton since 2019, Lib Dem. Candidates:
- Ruth Houghton, Lib Dem, Bishop’s Castle
- Linda Senior, Green, Ludlow
- David Turner, Conservative, Much Wenlock.
Chirbury and Worthen
Held by Heather Kidd since 2009, Lib Dem. Candidates:
- Heather Kidd, Lib Dem, Worthen
- Anthony Bevington, Knowbury.
Two councillors. Held by Gwilym Butler, Conservative since 2009 and Madge Shineton, Independent, since 2009. Candidates:
- Zoe Griffin, Lib Dem, Stottesdon
- Andrew Sherrington, Lib Dem, no address given
- Gwilym Butler, Conservative
- Simon Harris, Conservative, no address given
- John Crowe, Green, Lydbury North
- Janet Humphreys, Green, Bucknell
- John Rogers, Labour, Stottesdon
Church Stretton and Craven Arms
Two councillors. Held by Lee Chapman and David Evans, Conservative since 2009. Candidates:
- Allen Jolley, Lib Dem, Church Stretton
- Mark Morris, Lib Dem, Church Stretton
- David Evans, Conservative, Craven Arms
- Hilary Luff, Conservative, Church Stretton
- Stephen Hale, Green, Bishop’s Castle
- Hilary Wendt, Green, no address given.